Cakes decorated in edible gold sequins have been trending for a while now and at last we've found the perfect, easy way to make them! The cake lace sequins mat allows you to make 236 edible sequins all in one go. It requires hardly any lace mix and takes no time at all. Remember, they need to be left to dry overnight in the mat before you can turn it over and pop all your little sparkly sequins out!
You will need:
- Sequins mat by Claire Bowman
- Cake lace spreading knife by Claire Bowman
- Cake Lace Soft Gold Pearlised Lace Mix
- Edible glue or royal icing
Creating edible gold sequins:
- Spread the soft gold lace mix over the mat with your spreading knife to completely cover all the sequins, making sure there are no air bubbles.
- Go over the mat as many times as needed to take away any excess lace mix.
- Always put any excess mix back into the pot. A little goes a long way with this mix, so you end up using very little to make these sequins, keeping costs to a minimum.
- Leave them overnight to dry. In the morning, simply turn the mat over and the sequins will pop out easily.
- Make as many sequins as you like to decorate or completely cover your cake. They can be made ahead of time and stored until you need them. For this cake, we only used one mat's worth of sequins!
- We found the best way to attach the sequins is to pipe a tiny dot of royal icing on the cake, before positioning them into place using a pair of tweezers. Now watch your sequins twinkle and dazzle your guests!