This gorgeous shimmery wedding cake by Rainbow Dust Colours catches the light beautifully.
You will need:
For the cake:
- 10cm (4in), 15cm (6in) and 20cm (8in) round cakes, all 12½cm (5in) deep
- Rainbow Jewels – Pearls
- Rainbow Dust Edible Silk – Starlight Comet White
- Renshaw White Flower & Modelling Paste
- Silver dragees
- Renshaw Premium Cover Paste
- Rainbow Dust Edible Glue
- Renshaw Royal Icing equipment
- Circle cutter
- Medium and large diamond cutter
- Cel stick
- 30cm (12in) round 12mm (½in) drum board
- 10cm (4in) and 15cm (6in) round 1mm thin board
- Dresden tool
- Piping bag
- Silver ribbon
- Craft glue stick
- Place your 10cm (4in) and 15cm (6in) round cakes onto the same size boards and the 20cm (8in) round cake onto the 30cm (12in) round board. Put a small amount of buttercream onto the centre of each board to hold the cakes in place and stop any movement. Split and fill each cake with your favourite filling, making sure a thin layer of buttercream is spread around the sides and top of each cake. Chill them in the fridge to firm them slightly. Cover each of the cakes using white premium cover paste (the cakes are deep and this paste takes a lot more stretch without splitting). Leave to firm. Dowel and stack each cake, using a small amount of royal icing over the dowels to secure each cake in place.
- Using white flowerpaste and the diamond cutters, cut out enough small diamond shapes to cover the entire bottom tier, plus approximately 32 small diamond shapes for the top tier. Cut out 8 large diamond shapes for the board, 19 for the top tier, and 1 for the front centre of the middle tier. Leave to dry.
- Secure one of the large diamond shapes in the front centre of the middle tier using royal icing. Place a Jewel Pearl into the centre of the diamond, using royal icing to secure it in place – to remove the jewels from their packaging mould, simply ease each one out with a dresden tool, then lift out with a pair of tweezers and place onto your decoration.
- Add three rows of silver dragees around the diamond shape, securing them in place with royal icing. Now add more dragees around the Jewel Pearl, adding two extra at the top and bottom, then three more spaced evenly either side.
- Using a circle cutter, cut out shapes of white flowerpaste, then thin the edges with a cel stick by rolling it around the edges. Pinch the centre with your finger and thumb to scrunch the shape together to make a ruffle. Starting from the base of your cake and working upwards, secure this in place with edible glue. Repeat until the whole of the middle tier is covered with ruffles. Place the ruffles carefully around the front of the diamond shape.
- Pipe a small line of royal icing around the base of the top and bottom tier, and carefully place silver dragees all around.
- Place the large and small diamond shapes onto the top tier following the photograph as a guide – use royal icing to secure them in place.Attach the medium size shapes to the bottom tier, and finally the remainder of the large shapes onto the cake board. Once dry, brush the entire cake with Starlight Comet White.
- Add pearls to the centre of all of the diamond shapes, then add the silver dragees around the Jewel Pearls. Add a single silver dragee to the centre of each medium diamond shape using royal icing to secure in place.
- To finish, add a length of silver ribbon around your cake board, using a craft glue stick to secure in place.
Content continues after advertisements