Every fairy cake needs a rich topping - and this one sets off that sponge beautifully. Our Lyle's mix really is the icing on the cake.
Lyle's Chocolate Icing Smile - Lyle’s Golden Syrup
- 110g (4oz) dark chocolate 70% minimum cocoa solids, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp Lyle's Golden Syrup
- 25g (1oz) unsalted butter, softened
Get ready to pipe some icing smiles:
- Melt the rich, dark chocolate in a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water (make sure the bowl does not touch the water) - then remove from heat.
- Pour in that gloriously sticky Lyle's Golden Syrup and the butter. Mix well and then leave to cool, stirring occasionally until the mixture thickens to the right consistency for icing. (Don't worry if it gets too hard; just briefly warm it through again.)
- Transfer to an icing bag fitted with a star piping nozzle - then decorate the cakes with swirls; or design of your choice.