Sound the a-llama, there's a new trend in town!
Go bright and vibrant for any celebration with this fun llama cake and cupcake design by FMM Sugarcraft. To create your own llama-tastic cake, or even just the cupcake toppers - read the tutorial below.
For the cake and cupcakes:
- 1 tier 15x18cm (6x7in) cake covered in light blue sugarpaste on a 25cm (10in) cake board covered in light blue sugarpaste and edged with green and cream ribbon
- 3 cupcakes, topped with buttercream
- edible pens: black, blue, green, red, orange, yellow, blue
- modelling paste: brown, white, red, blue, orange, green, yellow
- royal icing
Make the mummy llamas
- FMM Mummy & Baby Llama Set
- FMM Geometrics Set
- FMM Essential Shapes
- FMM Magical Alphabet & Numbers Uppercase
- FMM Straight Frill 9-12
- FMM Dab-a-Dust (if required)
- FMM Large Piping Bag
- FMM Large Piping Nozzle
- non-stick mat
- non-stick rolling pin
- water and paintbrush, or edible glue
- lolly stick
- small kitchen knife
1. Roll out brown and white modelling paste and cut out a large llama in each colour. Turn one of them over and smooth the edges with your finger. Cut out a white and brown small rectangle for each llama to make a rug for their backs. Roll out blue, yellow, orange and red modelling paste and make stripes to decorate to the rugs. Attach the stripes to the rectangles, then attach the rugs to the llamas' backs with water. Place the decorations to one side.
Make the toppers
(Prepare these 24 hours in advance)
2. Roll out more brown and white modelling paste and cut out 2 brown and white circles using the largest circle from the geometric set. Cut out 2 small white and brown llamas. Make a small stripy rug as above and attach to the circle with water. Allow to dry completely for at least 24 hours.
Make the circles
3. Roll out the green, red, orange, blue and yellow modelling paste. Cut out circles in each colour using the second largest circle with the circle tappit from the FMM Essential Shapes set. Place the decorations to one side.
Make the decorations
4. Roll out red modelling paste in a strip. Cut a straight edge down one side using your knife; this will be placed at the bottom of the cake. Cut out a straight edge frill for the bottom of the cake (see photo for the design used), then set aside.
Make the inscription
5. Roll out the orange, yellow, blue, red and green modelling paste. Use the magical letter set to cut out the inscription ‘Best Wishes’ in alternating colours. Place to one side. TOP TIP Allow the modelling paste shapes to sit and firm up for a short time before attaching to the cake.
Assembling the cake
6. Attach the large llamas facing each other on the front centre of the cake.
7. Attach the circles to the top of the cake with water in alternating colours.
8. Secure the straight edge to the bottom of the cake with water.
9. Attach the inscription to the cake board with water, alternating the colours.
10. Once the llamas are completely dry, use the edible pens to draw on a face, reins, feet and dots around the rugs on the large and small llamas.
11. Attach the circle decoration to the top of the cake by securing to a lolly stick with royal icing to support it.
Assembling the cupcakes
12. Pipe a buttercream swirl on top of each cupcake.
13 Stand a cupcake topper on each cupcake, to finish.