Make cute gingerbread people all year round and create this awesome Christmas cake with these adorable cutters!
Use a range of FMM Sugarcraft
cutters to create this festive showstopper! Decorating a cake has never been easier.
Gingerbread people gift tag cake
You will need
For the cake:
- 15x18cm (6x7in) one-tier cake, covered in light blue sugarpaste and placed on a 23cm (9in) covered cake board, decorated with red ribbon
- ginger, red, green and white modelling paste
- edible black and white sugar balls
- Rainbow Dust Edible Black Pen
- royal icing
- FMM Gingerbread People Set
- FMM Gift Tag Cutter Set
- FMM Cool Christmas Tappit
- FMM Dab-a-Dust (if required)
- FMM Multi-ribbon Cutter
- FMM Knife & Scriber Tool
- non-stick mat and non-stick rolling pin
- water and paintbrush (use edible glue if you prefer)
- friller tool (small and large to make a mouth)
- lolly stick
- Roll out the ginger modelling paste and cut out a large gingerbread person. Make a face by attaching black sugar balls for eyes, then use the large frilling tool to emboss a smile. Roll out the green modelling paste and cut out a large bow. Attach with water, then attach 3 white sugar balls in a line downwards below the green bow. Set aside and allow to dry for 24 hours.
- Roll out the ginger modelling paste and cut out 2 small gingerbread people. Make a smile by using the small frilling tool – their eyes will be added later once they are completely dry. Roll out green modelling paste and cut out 2 small bows. Roll out the red modelling paste and cut out a small red waistcoat and a small red dress. Attach the waistcoat to one of the small gingerbread people with water. Attach a green bow at the top of the waistcoat, then attach 2 white sugar balls in a vertical line below the bow. Attach the red dress to the other gingerbread person, then attach 3 white sugar balls in a line going down the dress. Attach the green bow to the head of the gingerbread person, as pictured.
- Roll out the white modelling paste. Using the FMM Cool Christmas Tappit, cut out lots of snowflakes. Allow 4 to dry completely and the others to dry off a little.
- Roll out the white modelling paste. Using the FMM Gift Tag cutters, cut out 2 large gift tags and 3 small gift tags. Attach the small gingerbread people to the large tags.
- Roll out the green modelling paste. Use the small decorating strip with the FMM Gift Tags to cut out 6 holly leaves. Attach 2 holly leaves with water to each of the small gift tags. Roll a small red ball of modelling paste to create a berry and attach with water above the holly leaves.
- Roll out the red modelling paste. Adjust the FMM Multi-ribbon Cutter to the smallest possible setting and cut out 3 strips of red modelling paste. Adjust the cutter to the next size up, then cut out 2 strips of modelling paste. Do not use the plastic guides – use the wheels facing the 2 ridges in and for the smaller just the 1 ridge. Roll out red modelling paste and cut out 3 small bows from the Gift Tag Cutter Strip and 3 large red ones. Roll out the red modelling paste, then cut out 2 large bows and 3 small bows using the decorating strip that accompanies the FMM Gift Tag Cutter Set.
- Attach a small gift tag with holly decoration approximately halfway down the cake. On each side attach a large gift tag decorated with a gingerbread person approximately three-quarters of the way down the cake. Attach the remaining 2 gift tags decorated with holly each side of the large gift tags decorated with the gingerbread people, about halfway down.
- Cut the thin strips of sugar ribbon with your FMM Knife and Scriber Tool to the correct length, then attach with water from the top of the small gift tags to the top of the cake. Repeat with the thicker strips going from the top of the cake to the large gift tags. Attach the large bows to the top of the large tag where it meets the ribbon with water. Repeat for the small bows.
- Attach the large gingerbread person on one leg on the top of the cake, using a lolly stick and royal icing to support it.
- Cut some of the snowflakes in half using the FMM Knife and Scriber Tool and leave some whole. Attach them to the bottom of the cake with water to make a decorative border. Once the 4 snowflakes have dried completely, attach 3 of them to the back of the gingerbread person with water. Cut 1 of the snowflakes in half and wet the end of each half with water. Once it is a little sticky, stand them on top of the cake, as pictured. Once the small gingerbread people are completely dry use the edible black pen to draw on eyes.
FMM'S TOP TIPS
To make modelling paste, add a little tylo to your sugarpaste. Allow the modelling paste shapes to sit and firm up for a short time before attaching to the cake. If the modelling paste is sticking to your tools or mat use the FMM Dab-a-Dust for dusting with either cornflour or icing sugar.