Tips for working with sugarpaste:
- When cutting out the small hexagons, roll the paste and leave to sit for a few minutes to firm up first, to prevent distorting the shapes.
- Lay out the shapes on your workboard before attaching to the cake, to decide on the pattern layout that you want to create.
Tips for colouring sugarpaste:
- To colour white sugarpaste to red, start by adding orange gel colour. Once this is mixed completely into the paste, add the red gel colouring and mix thoroughly. This will prevent the sugarpaste from turning pink, as can normally happen when you add red colouring straight into white paste.
- To ensure the paste is coloured completely, cut the paste in half and check the centre. If you can see any white paste still remaining, continue to knead the paste. Keep checking, until the paste is coloured all the way through.
- Wash your hands between handling different coloured pastes, to prevent any colour transfer.
Need to stock up on your cake decorating supplies? Visit our store, where you can find a range of products to suit your caking needs, including the Rainbow Dust and Colour Splash ProGels and Renshaw sugarpaste. Why not use different colours to create your own colour scheme and look?!
Content continues after advertisements