Make your own delicious biccies at home with this simple chocolate digestive biscuits recipe...
Ever fancied baking your own chocolate digestives? Give it a go with this chocolate digestive biscuits recipe – it may end up being better than the original!
Chocolate Digestive Biscuits recipe
By Miele and Der Kern Ingredients
- 175g wholemeal flour
- 175g rolled oats
- 150g unsalted butter, cubed
- 75g dark soft brown sugar
- 1tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ½ tsp. bicarbonate of soda
- 2-3 tbsp. cold milk
- 100g dark chocolate
- Combine the wholemeal flour and oats together in a food processor and pulse the oats until they look like coarse breadcrumbs. Add the butter and pulse once again until fully incorporated.
- Add the remaining ingredients but the milk and pulse until combined. If the dough is looking dry, you want to add one tablespoon of milk at a time until it comes together. As you’re working with wholemeal flour it will need more liquid than if you were using plain flour.
- Remove the dough from the food processor, neatly shape into two rectangles, wrap with baking parchment and leave in the fridge for an hour. You need this time in the fridge for two reasons, first, for the gluten to relax so it keeps the shape when baking and second, so all the liquid is absorbed correctly by the flour.
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven on Fan 180C. Dust the worktop with some flour and roll the dough with a rolling pin to a 1cm thickness. Use a round cookie cutter, cut as many rounds as possible with the dough and place on a baking tray with some baking parchment (I will reuse here the one that I used previously to wrap the dough). If you want to, you can use the back of a butter knife or a small palette knife to emboss the biscuits.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the oven and leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- In the meantime, melt the chocolate, this can either be done directly in a saucepan on an induction hob the warming drawer or the microwave. When melted, cover one side of the biscuits with the chocolate. Allow to cool again before serving and eating.