Chewy, crunchy and sweet- these biscuits have it all, including some chocolate sprinkles thrown in for good measure.Take a look at our chocolate pretzel biscuit recipe below, and you'll see just how simple it is to create such decadent-looking treats! Your biscuit tin won't want for anything else, ever again.
Ingredients: For the biscuits:
- 120g butter
- 55g caster sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 25g cocoa powder, sifted
- 240g plain flour, sifted
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 125g dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- Chocolate sprinkles
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/ gas mark 6 then line two baking trays with baking paper.
- For the biscuits, cream the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg and vanilla extract. Add the cocoa powder, flour and salt and bring the dough together until evenly combined. Wrap the dough in clingfilm and chill in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Divide the chilled dough into 24 equal sized pieces. Roll each piece of dough into a ball and then into a long thin sausage shape approx 30cm long. Take two ends of one sausage and twist around each other once leaving a large loop in the top of the dough as shown in Photo A. Twist the ends again as shown in Photo B. Repeat with the other pieces of dough.
- Place the biscuits, spaced apart, onto the prepared trays and fold the loop downwards either side of the twist to form a pretzel shape as shown in Photo C. Bake for 14 mins then leave to cool on the tray for 5 mins before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For decoration, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Brush chocolate over half of each pretzel or alternatively dip half of each pretzel in the chocolate then hold over the bowl for a couple of seconds to allow the excess to drip back into the bowl. Place on a sheet of baking paper then scatter with chocolate sprinkles and allow to set.