These gingerbread place settings are an adorable idea to put on your Christmas table!
Gingerbread place settings
- 350g Plain White Flour (We use Allinson)
- 1 tsp Ginger (ground)
- 1 tsp Bicarbonate of soda
- 100g Butter (unsalted) (cubed, Cold ) 150g Unrefined Light Muscovado Sugar (We use Billington's)
- 1 Egg(s) (free range) (large )
- 4 tbsp Golden syrup
- 200g Icing Sugar (We use Silver Spoon)
- A few drops Water
- Baking Trays Greaseproof Paper Sieve
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (fan 160°C, gas mark 4). Line a couple of baking trays with greaseproof paper.
- Sieve the flour, ginger and bicarbonate of soda into a large bowl. Using your fingertips rub in the butter until you get a fine breadcrumb texture, then add the sugar and stir in.
- Whisk the beaten egg and the golden syrup and add to the bowl. Mix to form a dough.
- Lightly flour your work surface then roll out the dough to a thickness of 3-4mm. Cut out the shapes using a gingerbread cutter and lay each one out onto the baking trays.
- Bake in the oven for about 10 minutes until golden brown.
- Once baked, leave to cool on a wire rack.
- To make writing icing, mix the icing sugar with a few drops of water until it forms a smooth and loose paste (runny enough to pipe but not too runny it won't set). Fill your piping bag with the icing and decorate as you wish.
- Fancy doing something different with your gingerbread? Why not try these?