- To make the shortbread, base place all the ingredients into a food processor and process until a breadcrumb texture. Alternatively, rub the fat into the flour with your fingers and then add the sugar.
- Press the mixture firmly into the base of a greased 20cm square tin. Prick with a fork and cook in a pre-heated oven at 160 degrees (140 fan) for 35 - 40 mins until firm to touch and golden.
- Remove from the oven to cool while you make the caramel. Make sure the shortbread is cool before adding the caramel or it will seep into the shortbread!
- To make the caramel place the sugar, syrup and fat into a large saucepan over a low heat. Stir frequently until the sugar has all dissolved...if you use caster sugar it will take a bit less time than granulated!
- Once the sugar has dissolved, turn the heat up to medium and add the soya cream and vanilla extract.
- Stir continually once boiling, ensuring it doesn't stick on the bottom of the pan. Catch up with some TV you missed on the iplayer at the same time!!
- Boil for about 20 minutes. By this time the caramel should look like it does in the video on my website.
- Remove from the heat and immediately pour onto the shortbread.
- Ensure the caramel is completely cool before melting the chocolate, either in a bowl over boiling water, or in the microwave, checking and stirring every 30 seconds until melted.
- Pour the chocolate over the caramel and gently shake the pan to get an even covering. You can leave it smooth, or when partly set, run a fork over the surface to give it a 'roughled' look.
Gluten-free and dairy-free Millionaire Shortbread
Try this delicious gluten-free and dairy-free Millionaire Shortbread recipe to discover just how tasty free-from baking can be!