These breadstick sparklers are great fun to bake and eat, so get the kids dipping and decorating for your New Year's Eve party!
Breadstick SparklersPreparation time 20 mins plus rising Baking time 20 mins Makes 16
Ingredients:For the dough:
- 450g strong plain bread flour
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 7g dried fast action yeast
- 275ml warm water
- Plain flour for dusting
- 150g milk chocolate, broken into pieces
- Popping candy
- Coloured sprinkles – we used Bronze Crunch from Waitrose
- For the dough, place the bread flour in a large bowl then add the salt to one side of the bowl and the yeast to the other. Create a well in the centre and add enough warm water to make a soft dough, bringing the mixture together with your hands. If the dough is too sticky, add a little more flour.
- Mix until the flour is fully incorporated then turn out onto a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough for 8-10 mins until smooth and elastic. Divide the dough into 16 equal portions and shape each portion into a ball. Dust the surface of each dough ball with a little plain flour then roll into long sausage shapes of even thickness.
- Lightly dust two large baking sheets with plain flour and transfer the dough sticks to the prepared trays leaving enough room between them to allow for spreading. Cover with lightly oiled clingfilm and leave to rise in a warm place for 30 mins.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan/ gas mark 6. Bake the breadsticks for 20 mins until golden and crisp. Remove from the oven and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.
- For decoration, melt the chocolate in a heatproof bowl over a pan of gently simmering water. Once melted set aside to cool for a few minutes. Meanwhile pour the popping candy and sprinkles into separate bowls. Dip the end of each breadstick into the cooled chocolate and then into the popping candy and sprinkles. Stand upright in glasses or a jug and allow to set before serving.
Content continues after advertisements