No bread flour, but want to make bread? No problem! Learn how to make bread with plain wholemeal flour instead...
With less frequent shopping trips and irregular grocery deliveries during this time, you may not be able to get hold of all the baking ingredients you would like, yet still want to spend time in the kitchen baking.
Award-winning organic flour brand Doves Farm share the secrets behind flour...
Struggling to find flour and yeast? Doves Farm have also launched an Organic Flour Baking Box
(£11 plus delivery), available to purchase on their website and delivered direct to your door! The pre-packed box is available most weekday mornings, subject to availability, and contains a useful selection of their organic flours - including plain, self raising, bread and specialty flours - plus Quick Yeast for bread baking. Find out more at dovesfarm.co.uk
How to Make Bread with Plain Wholemeal Flour
Plain flours are big on flavour and bake into great tasting breads. The rise might be a little less impressive than with a bread flour, but the real wheat taste will be there.
Makes 1 loaf
Cooking time: 40-45 minutes
- Put the flour, yeast, sugar and salt into a bowl and mix together.
- Stir in the water, and when everything looks craggy and lumpy, stir in the oil.
- Using your hands, gather everything together into a doughy mass.
- Knead the dough for 100 presses.
- Cover with an upturned mixing bowl and leave in a warm place to double in size, about an hour.
- Rub some oil around the inside of a 1kg/2lb bread tin or insert a baking liner.
- Knead the dough for another 100 presses.
- Shape the dough and put it into the prepared tin.
- Cover the tin with an upturned mixing bowl and leave in a warm place for 40 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven and bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Equipment: 1kg/2lb bread tin and 2 x mixing bowls
Temperature: 220˚C, Fan 200˚C, 425˚F, Gas 7