A wholesome malted brown loaf packed with five seeds - a recipe from Marriage's Millers.This recipe is from Marriage’s Millers. W & H Marriage & Sons Ltd has been milling flour in Essex since 1824. Marriage’s was founded by twins William and Henry nearly 200 years ago. Today the fifth and sixth generations of the Marriage family continue the milling tradition. We source the best wheat, much of it from farmers within 30 miles of Chelmer Mills, including our own arable farms. Our flour is produced using a combination of the traditional techniques we have trusted for generations and the best modern milling technology. Marriage’s flour is available from Ocado, Abel & Cole, www.flour.co.uk and health food stores and farm shops nationwide.
Seeded Malted Loaf
- 500 Moulsham Strong Malted Seeded Flour
- 7g Dried fast action yeast (or 14g fresh yeast)
- 10g Fast or olive oil
- 7g Sea salt
- 275ml Lukewarm water
MethodPreheat oven, 220°C fan/240°C/430°F/Gas Mark 8
- Grease the bread tin(s).Place the flour, salt, yeast and fat into a large mixing bowl. Mix the fat through the flour and make a well in the centre of the flour mixture.
- Add most of the water to the well, keeping a little in reserve, and mix to a soft dough. Add the remaining water if necessary.
- Tip the dough onto a table and knead for 8 to 10 minutes.
- Place the dough back into the bowl and cover with oiled cling film or a damp tea towel. Prove in a warm place until the dough doubles in size. This will take approximately 45 minutes.
- Split the dough into two pieces if desired. Mould the dough round and fold to the shape of the tin(s). Place the dough piece into the tin, seam down, cover with oiled cling film or a damp tea towel. Put in a warm place and allow to rise about 1cm above the tin. This will take 45-60 minutes.
- Uncover and bake in a preheated oven, 220°C fan/240°C/430°F/Gas Mark 8. Bake small loaves for 20-25 minutes or a large loaf for 30-35 minutes.
- Remove the loaf from the tin. Check it is baked by tapping the bottom of the loaf - it should sound hollow. Place on a wire rack to cool.