Pyrex have teamed up with previous Great British Bake Off contestant Cathryn Dresser to launch Pyrex National Baking Week 2014 – which runs from 13-19th October and will see all manner of competitions, recipes and baking celebration galore! Try this recipe for Coconut and Cardamom Sweet Buns to get into the spirit of baking week… COCONUT AND CARDAMOM SWEET BUNS by Cathryn Dresser Preparation 30 minutes, plus about 2 hours proving Baking time 25 minutes Makes 12 buns Equipment Pyrex Asimetria 12 cup muffin tray Pyrex 1 litre glass mixing bowl Clingfilm Sharp knife Pyrex 0.25 litre measuring jug Pestle and mortar Pyrex 0.5 litre glass mixing bowl Whisk Cooling rack Pastry brush Ingredients For the dough 100g creamed coconut 200ml freshly boiled water 300g strong white bread flour 1 sachet of fast action yeast 3 tbsp golden caster sugar 1 free-range egg, lightly beaten 1 tsp salt For the filling 100ml coconut cream 100g light muscavado sugar 100g desiccated coconut 1 tbsp cinnamon 6-8 cardamom pods (crush the pods, remove the green outer and then grind the seeds in a pestle and mortar to a fine powder) 175g soft unsalted butter For the icing 50g creamed coconut 100ml freshly boiled water 300g icing sugar Method
- Put 150g of creamed coconut into your Pyrex measuring jug filled with 300ml of freshly boiled water and stir until it’s dissolved, then stir in the sugar and salt.
- In a large mixing bow,l mix the flour and yeast together and make a well in the centre.
- Pour the coconut mixture and the beaten egg into the well and stir the mixture together to form a ball of dough. Tip: make sure the temperature is blood heat. You may need to add a little extra liquid if the mixture is too dry.
- Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured worktop and knead for at least 10-15 minutes until you have a smooth, soft, springy and stretchy ball of dough.
- Place in a clean lightly greased large bowl and cover with cling film, put in a warm place for at least 1-1 ½ hours to prove (by which time it should have doubled in size).
- Make the filling by mixing all the ingredients together until all combined.
- When the dough had proved you need to tip it out and gently flatten and stretch it out into a rectangle approximately 30cmx20cm.
- Spread the buttery coconut filling all over the dough then roll up like a Swiss-roll as tightly and evenly as possible from the long side into a long sausage.
- Trim off each end then slice the sausage into 12 even pieces.
- Use a little extra butter to grease your Pyrex muffin tin then pop a bun in each (so you can see the spiral).
- Lightly cover with cling film and put back in your warm place again to prove for a further 30-45 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to: electric 190°C / electric (fan) 170°C / gas mark 5.
- Bake your try of buns for 25-30 minutes until, risen and golden.
- Make the icing by dissolving the 50g of creamed coconut in 100ml of boiled water- in your Pyrex measuring jug, then pour this into a bowl with the icing sugar and whisk together.
- Turn your buns out onto a wire rack and then pour or brush over the icing glaze whilst still warm.
Content continues after advertisements