These doughnuts are perfect for a sweet treat without the fuss of deep frying!
Baked cake doughnuts with chocolate glaze from All The Sweet Things
Ingredients: For the doughnuts
- 1 tbsp coconut oil or butter, for greasing the pans
- 375g (13oz) plain flour
- 60g (2oz) rye flour
- 225g (8oz) granulated sugar
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- ½ tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg or cinnamon
- 1 tsp salt 3 large free-range eggs, at room temperature
- 450ml (16fl oz) buttermilk, at room temperature
- 115g (4oz) unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 130g (4½oz) chopped dark chocolate
- 115ml (4fl oz) whipping cream
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp icing sugar (optional) sprinkles (optional)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/Gas Mark 6. Grease two 6-hole doughnut pans with your preferred oil or butter.
- For the doughnuts, whisk the dry ingredients together in a large bowl.
- Whisk the eggs, buttermilk, butter and maple syrup together in another bowl.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry and stir just until combined. Scrape the mixture into a piping bag (or use a resealable plastic bag and cut off a corner).
- Pipe the batter into the pan, filling the holes half to three-quarters full. Bake in the oven for 9-10 minutes.
- The doughnuts are done when they have risen nicely, are golden brown and spring back when lightly touched.
- Let the doughnuts cool in the pan on a wire rack for 15 minutes, then remove them from the pan and let them cool completely on the rack.
- Proceed with the rest of the batter, letting the pans cool down, so they are slightly warm to the touch, and greasing them between batches. Let the doughnuts cool completely before glazing.
- For the glaze, place the chocolate, cream and butter in a small saucepan and stir over a low heat, until the glaze is melted and smooth. If you’re using the icing sugar, whisk it in now.
- Pour the glaze into a shallow dish and dip each doughnut into the glaze. Don’t forget the sprinkles!
Content continues after advertisements