Don't to wait for the summer fair to enjoy delicious old-fashioned funnel cakes.
- 165g plain flour, sifted
- 2 tbsp caster sugar
- 3/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- 240ml milk
- Sunflower or vegetable oil for frying
- Icing sugar for dusting
- Place the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl and stir until well combined. Beat the egg and milk together in a jug, pour into the flour mixture and whisk to form a smooth batter.
- Heat approx 5cm of oil in a deep pan to 190˚C. Pour a quarter of the batter in the top of the funnel whilst keeping your finger plugged over the hole at the bottom.
- Hold the funnel over the pan of oil then release your finger and drizzle the batter in a circular motion evenly into the oil. Cook for approx 45 secs until the cake rises to the surface of the oil and the underneath is golden brown. Flip the cake over with a pair of tongs and cook until golden brown on the other side.
- Remove from the oil with a pair of tongs, drain on a piece of kitchen paper and place on a serving plate. Repeat with the remaining batter. Dust liberally with icing sugar and serve immediately.