Get out in those English hedgerows and go on a blackberry hunt!This wonderful recipe is from our friend at Wilde Orchard. We love her recipes and she explained that "the best way to start a weekend is by waking up and having fresh donuts filled with super vanilla-y, creamy custard and sticky, sweet blackberry jam" so don't wait to bake these, get going now, pronto!
Blackberry Custard Doughnuts
Prep time Cook time 6 mins - Total time 2 hours 6 mins
- 525g plain flour
- 50g caster sugar
- 14g dried yeast
- 125ml milk (warmed)
- 2 large free range eggs
- 25g butter (melted)
- 100ml water
- Canola Oil for frying
- In a large bowl place the flour.
- In a medium sauce pan warm the milk to body temperature. Add in the sugar and yeast and let stand for 5 minutes to activate the yeast.
- Add to the milk and yeast mixture, the eggs and the melted butter.
- Add this to the flour along with 100ml of water. Mix until a dough forms.
- You can knead this for 10 minutes or for 5 minutes in a mixer with a dough hook on medium speed.
- Leave the dough to rest for 1 hour or until doubled in size in a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with cling film.
- Once the dough has doubled, knock all the air out by gently kneading it. Then divide into 14 donuts. Mine weighed 75g each.
- Leave them on a lightly oiled baking tray to prove again for 30 minutes. Cover with a damp tea towel.
- Meanwhile, in a large, high sided pan, heat 2 litres of canola or vegetable oil to 180c. Fry to donuts for 2-3 minutes per side. Until they are golden and fluffy.
- Drain them on some kitchen paper, then toss them in sugar.
- Once they are cool fill with the jam and custard.
Content continues after advertisements