With this salami calzone you'll be giving the mainstream Italian restaurants a run for their money!
Artichoke & Salami Calzone
Content continues after advertisements
For the dough
- 250g strong white bread flour
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- 5g fast action dried yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 130-160ml lukewarm water
For the filling
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, crushed
- 454g can chopped tomatoes
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 100g Italian salami, roughly torn
- 1 large ball of mozzarella, drained and roughly torn
- 75g artichoke hearts in oil
- 10g parmesan cheese, grated
- For the dough, place the flour and sugar in a large bowl and mix well. Add the yeast to one side of the bowl and the salt to the other then make a well in the centre and pour the oil in it. Start to mix together whilst gradually adding enough of the water to bring the mixture together to form a soft dough - you may not need all the water.
- Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead for approx 10 mins until the dough is soft and elastic. Place in an oiled bowl, cover with clingfilm and allow to rise for 1 hour until the dough is well risen and springy to the touch.
- While the dough is rising prepare the filling by gently heating the oil in a medium frying pan. Add the garlic and lightly cook until it starts to soften. Add the tomatoes, turn up the heat and simmer rapidly for approx 10 mins, stirring occasionally until the mixture reduces and becomes quite thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste then set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 200˚C/180˚C fan /gas mark 6 and lightly grease two baking trays with oil. Turn the risen dough onto a floured surface and divide into two equal portions. Shape each portion into a ball then roll out each ball into a circle approx 23cm in diameter. Place one circle of dough on each of the prepared baking trays.
- Spread the tomato mixture over one half of each dough circle and top with salami, mozzarella and artichokes. Dampen the edge of the dough with water and fold the plain half of the dough over the filling. Crimp the edges to seal the two layers of dough together and secure the filling inside.
- Bake for 20-25 mins until the calzones have risen and are golden brown. Remove from the oven and sprinkle with parmesan cheese.