Wow your guests with this flavoursome salami, olive and cheese wreath bread which creates a wonderful savoury centrepiece that’s perfect for dipping in olive oil.
Salami, Olive and Cheese Bread Wreath
Preparation time 35 mins plus rising
Baking time 20-25 mins
- 450g strong white flour plus extra for dusting
- 1½ tsp salt
- Black pepper to taste
- 7g sachet fast action dried yeast
- 50g cheddar cheese, grated
- 4 tbsp olive oil plus extra for brushing
- 250ml luke warm water
- 1 medium egg, lightly beaten
- 100g salami, chopped
- 75g olives, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/180°C fan/gas mark 6 and grease a large baking tray.
- Place the flour, salt, pepper, yeast and cheese into a bowl and mix well. Add the oil, water and egg then mix thoroughly together to form a soft dough. Lightly dust your work surface with flour then lightly knead the dough for 5 mins until smooth and elastic.
- Oil the inside of a large bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a piece of oiled cling film then leave to rise in a warm place for 1-1½ hours until it has doubled in size.
- Knock back the risen dough to remove the excess air by kneading it roughly with your hands for a few mins until it is almost back to its original size. Add the salami and olives then knead again for a minute. Transfer to a floured surface and divide into 3 equal pieces. Roll each piece into long sausage shapes, about 60cm in length.
- Lay the three pieces of dough side by side lengthways and plait together. Bring the ends round to meet and form a wreath then pinch together to hold the shape.
- Transfer to the baking sheet, brush the top of the dough with olive oil then cover with oiled cling film. Leave in a warm place to for 30-45 mins to rise to almost double in size.
- Remove the cling film then bake in the preheated oven for 20-25 mins until well risen and golden brown. To test the bread, tap the base and you should hear a hollow sound when it is cooked.
Content continues after advertisements