Chocolate & Pistachio Brownies
- 150g raw almonds, ground
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder
- 20g cacao powder or good quality cocoa, sifted
- 200g raw pistachios, nely chopped
- 100g Raw Dark Chocolate or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, chopped
- 150g unsalted butter, softened
- 100g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 ripe banana, mashed (approx. 125g)
- 50ml whipping cream
- 20g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 125g Raw Dark Chocolate or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, chopped
- Edible gold leaf, to decorate
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Line an 20cm square baking pan with baking paper.
- Mix the ground almonds, baking powder, cacao and pistachios in a large bowl until combined.
- In a saucepan, bring water to the boil and remove from heat. Place the chopped chocolate into a bowl and place over the saucepan and melt while stirring. Carefully remove bowl from the saucepan and set aside to cool slightly.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and xylitol in a clean bowl on high speed until soft and uffy. Add the melted chocolate, eggs and banana and beat on medium speed until combined.
- Combine the chocolate mixture with the ground almond mixture. Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20–25 minutes, do not over bake as the brownie should be fudgy in the middle. Leave to cool in pan before covering with ganache.
For the ganache:
- Gently heat the cream and xylitol in a small saucepan, do not boil. Remove from the heat. Add the chocolate and stir until smooth. Spread over the brownies and when the ganache is cool, slice into squares and top with edible gold leaf.
This recipe is from Sugar Free Baking by Carolyn Hartz. Available from www.bookdepository.com for £18.39.