This coffee mocha cake is a classic crowd pleaser, serve with great coffee and some gossip!
Coffee Mocha CakePreparation time 20 mins
Baking time 25 mins
For the cake:
- 225g butter, softened
- 225g caster sugar
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 225g self raising flour, sifted
- 11/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp coffee essence plus extra for brushing
- 150g butter, softened
- 300g icing sugar, sifted
- 150g cream cheese
- 1-2 tbsp coffee essence
- 1 tbsp of cocoa powder for dusting
- Grease two 20cm round cake tins and line the base of each with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4.
- For the cake, beat the butter and sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, flour, baking powder and coffee essence and beat until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the two prepared cake tins and level the top of each. Bake for 25 mins until the cakes are firm, golden and starting to shrink away from the edges of the tin. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 mins then turn out and leave to cool completely on a cooling rack.
- For the frosting, beat the butter until soft. Add half the icing sugar and beat well. Beat in the remainder of the icing sugar until fully combined.
- Add the cream cheese and a little coffee essence then beat well. Add more coffee essence to suit your taste then beat until the mixture is smooth and creamy. Transfer the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle.
- Place one cake with the top face down on a serving plate. Lightly brush the top of the cake with coffee essence then pipe a layer of frosting on top until evenly covered. Place the other cake on top of the frosting with the top face up. Brush with coffee essence then spread on a very thin layer of frosting. Pipe stars on top and dust with cocoa powder for the finishing touch.
Content continues after advertisements