Some of the classic bakes are so good, they don't need to be changed! This cherry cake is a classic recipe, packed full of sweet, juicy cherries with a wickedly crunchy, sugary crust. Perfection!
- 200g caster sugar
- 200g butter, softened
- 200g plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 tbsp milk
- 200g glacé cherries, chopped into quarters
- 100g ground almonds
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3 and grease and line an 18cm round tin.
- Cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs and milk then sieve in the flour and baking powder. Beat again until just combined.
- In a separate bowl, drop the cherries in with the ground almonds and mix through, this should help the cherries get a more even distribution in the cake. Tip this mix in with the rest of the cake batter and fold through with a large metal spoon until thoroughly combined.
- Transfer to the cake tin and level the top before baking. It will take 1hr 15mins - 1hr 30 mins to bake through. It is ready when the cake develops a beautiful dark golden colour to the crust and is firm to the touch, a skewer will come out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Leave in the tin for 5 mins then transfer to a cooling rack and allow to cool completely. This cake will keep for up to a week if stored in a tin.
* Keep the cherry pieces small to reduce the risk of them all sinking to the bottom!