A delicious yeasted cake filled with dried fruit and a swirl of marzipan. This Stöllen loaf cake takes time to make but is well worth the effort!
Stöllen Loaf CakePreparation time: 120 minutes Makes: 10 portions Loaf cake:
- 125g (4 ½ oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 125g (4 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 3 Medium eggs, beaten
- 190g (6 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 5g (1 ½ tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 5ml (1 tsp) Ground mixed spice
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Natural Sicilian Lemon Extract
- 150g (5oz) Dr. Oetker Marzipan, cut into small pieces
- 200g (7oz) Mixed dried fruit such as sultanas, cranberries and chopped apricots
- 300g (10oz) Dr. Oetker Marzipan
- Icing sugar to dust
- 10ml (2 tsp) Clear honey
- 225g (8oz) Dr. Oetker Regal Ice
- Pomegranate seeds
- Rosemary sprigs
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (fan oven 160˚C, 350˚F, gas 4). Grease and line a 900g (2lb) loaf tin with a loaf tin liner or baking parchment.
- In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar together until pale and creamy. Beat in the eggs. Sift the flour, Baking Powder and mixed spice on top, then add the Lemon Extract, chopped Marzipan and dried fruit. Gently fold and mix all ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin. Smooth the top and bake in the oven for about 1 hour until slightly risen, firm to the touch – a skewer inserted into the centre will come out clean when the cake is cooked. Cool for 15 minutes in the tin then turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, knead the Marzipan gently for a few seconds to soften and make pliable. Cut off 75g (3oz) and set aside and cover to prevent it drying out. Lightly dust the work surface with icing sugar and roll out the remaining marzipan to the same size as the top of the loaf cake.
- Brush the top of the cake with honey and carefully transfer the rolled out Marzipan to the top. Gently press the marzipan into place and press and mould to fit right to the edge of the cake.
- Roll out the Regal Ice in the same way. Brush the Marzipan layer with a little water and transfer the Regal Ice on top. Dust your fingertips with icing sugar and gently rub and smooth the icing to fit the top of the cake. If necessary, trim the edges of the Marzipan and Regal Ice with a sharp knife to neaten.
- Roll out the reserved Marzipan to a thickness of ½ cm (1/4 inch) and cut out 8 holly leaves using a 5cm (2 inch) cutter, rerolling as necessary. Place on a baking tray and scorch the tops using a cook’s blow torch. Alternatively, put the Marzipan leaves on a tray lined with baking parchment and pop under a hot grill for a few seconds to toast the tops. Leave to cool completely before removing from the tray.
- To serve, arrange the toasted Marzipan leaves on top of the iced loaf cake, securing in place with a little water, and decorate with pomegranate seeds and rosemary sprigs. Your cake is now ready to serve and enjoy!
Content continues after advertisements