This Blackberry and Lemon Layer Cake from Berry World is an absolute treat! Perfect for a relaxed weekend with a cup of tea.
They have paired up with Breast Cancer Care to bring you recipes that you can make for your very own Afternoon Tea for Breast Cancer Care this summer - to find out more visit www.breastcancercare.org.uk/bake
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 175g butter or margarine
- 200g demerara sugar
- Finely grated rind 1 large lemon
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 350g blackberries
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs and then add 110g of sugar. Beat together the egg, milk and lemon rind (save a little for the topping), and then stir into the dry mixture until you have a thick batter.
- Rinse and dry the blackberries on paper towel then halve any very large ones. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Pour a good half of the mixture into a lined and greased 15-17.5cm loose-bottomed tin. Sprinkle on half of the blackberries, the rest of the batter and some more blackberries and sugar.
- Bake for about one hour until firm and golden. Sprinkle with remaining fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and leave to cool in the tin.