This Blackberry and Lemon Layer Cake from Berry World is an absolute treat! Perfect for a relaxed weekend with a cup of tea.They have paired up with Breast Cancer Care to bring you recipes that you can make for your very own Afternoon Tea for Breast Cancer Care this summer - to find out more visit www.breastcancercare.org.uk/bake.
- 350g plain flour
- 1tsp salt
- 1tbsp baking powder
- 175g butter or margarine
- 200g demerara sugar
- Finely grated rind 1 large lemon
- 2 free range eggs
- 200ml milk
- 350g blackberries
- Sieve the flour, salt and baking powder into a large bowl. Rub in the fat until it resembles breadcrumbs and then add 110g of sugar. Beat together the egg, milk and lemon rind (save a little for the topping), and then stir into the dry mixture until you have a thick batter.
- Rinse and dry the blackberries on paper towel then halve any very large ones. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/gas Mark 4.
- Pour a good half of the mixture into a lined and greased 15-17.5cm loose-bottomed tin. Sprinkle on half of the blackberries, the rest of the batter and some more blackberries and sugar.
- Bake for about one hour until firm and golden. Sprinkle with remaining fruit, lemon rind and sugar, and leave to cool in the tin.
Content continues after advertisements