Bramley apples make this apple cake deliciously moist and fruity. Delicious on its own, or serve it up warm with a generous scoop of ice cream for a hearty pudding.
Bramley Apple Cake
Serves 8-10 | Preparation time 15 mins | Baking time 35-40 mins
- 125g self raising flour
- 100g wholemeal plain flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp mixed spice
- 125g butter, cold and diced
- 125g caster sugar
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 2 large eggs
- 1 large Bramley apple (approx 235g)
- 1 tbsp pearl/nibbed sugar
- Grease a 20cm round springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper. Preheat the oven to 190˚C/170˚C fan/gas mark 5.
- Place the flours, baking powder and mixed spice in a large bowl and mix well. Rub in the butter using your fingertips until the mixture resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and lemon zest. Add the eggs one at a time, stirring well after each one to form a stiff mixture.
- Peel, core and dice the apple, add to the mixture and stir well. Transfer to the prepared tin and roughly level the top. Scatter with nibbed or Demerara sugar and bake for 35-40 mins until golden. Serve warm or cool on a wire rack.
* Demerara sugar can be scatted over the top of the cake mixture instead of nibbed sugar if preferred.