An indulgent dairy and gluten free cherry chocolate cake recipe...In celebration of National Cherry Day today, Love Fresh Cherries, the UK’s national cherry association have teamed up with MasterChef finalist, Giovanna Ryan to create some tasty and nutritious cherry based twists on our much loved classic recipes. Rob Hobson, Love Fresh Cherries nutritionist says; “Snacking has been one of the biggest challenges for people during lockdown so why not try making the most out of the British cherry season which is in full swing right now. Cherries are low in calories and a healthy way to satisfy a sweet tooth as well as supporting your overall health and wellbeing – more than can be said for a chocolate digestive” “If you’re looking for a sweet treat then there are many alternatives to home baked classics. Cherry and chocolate are perfect flavour buddies so why not try combining the two to create a healthy alternative to sugar laden chocolate cake.” Dark Chocolate, Olive Oil and Cherry Cake Ingredients for 8 slices:
- 200g dark chocolate (at least 70% cocoa)
- 125ml good quality olive oil
- 200g caster sugar
- 2 tablespoons ground almonds
- a pinch of salt
- 5 large eggs, separated
- 150g fresh cherries, pitted and roughly chopped
- Pre-heat the oven to 180C. Grease a 20cm cake tin with olive oil and line the base with baking paper.
- Chop the chocolate into small pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a pan of simmering water to melt slowly. Once melted, whisk in the olive oil then two-thirds of the caster sugar. Let the mixture cool a little then beat in the egg yolks, salt and ground almonds.
- Whisk the egg whites in a clean, dry bowl until very light and frothy, then add the rest of the sugar. Continue to whisk until soft peaks form.
- Fold a big spoon of the egg whites into the chocolate mixture to loosen it then gently fold in the remaining whites, a spoon at a time.
- Lastly, fold in the cherry pieces, and spoon into the prepared cake tin. Bake for 40 minutes until a cake tester comes out clean.
- Serve with some fresh cherries and a dollop of crème fraiche or a dairy-free alternative as a decadent dessert.
Content continues after advertisements