Summer strawberries and silky vanilla come together in perfect harmony to deliver the beautiful flavours in this cake...
Strawberry velvet cake
• 300g fresh strawberries (50g of the strawberries quartered and put aside) 175g self-raising flour 175g softened slightly salted butter 225g golden caster sugar
• 3 eggs
• 2tsp vanilla bean paste
• 1tbs milk
• 1tsp baking powder
• 300g double cream
• 30ml red food colouring gel
• 2-3tbs grated white chocolate
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees Celsius, then grease and line the cake tins.
2. Purée together the milk, 50g of sugar and 250g of strawberries together in blender. Once blended, pour half of the purée into two bowls and leave to the side.
3. Beat the butter and sugar together until light in colour and fluffy.
4. Add the eggs one at a time, mixing well between each addition making sure the mixture doesn't curdle.
5. Add the vanilla paste and continue beating the mixture until the vanilla has been mixed through evenly.
6. Sift the dry ingredients together and gently fold them through the cake mixture.
7. Add half of the strawberry purée and 30ml of red food colouring gel to the mixture and fold through very gently using and metal spoon.
8. Divide the mixture evenly between the 2 cake tins and bake for 25-35 minutes. Check the cakes after 25 minutes with a cake skewer to see if it comes out clean. If not, leave it in the oven checking every few minutes to see if the skewer comes out clean to show the cake is ready.
9. Once ready, take them out of the oven and allow cooling before removing from the tin.
10. While the cakes are cooling, whip the double cream until soft peaks form and then fold through half the remaining purée.
11. Once the cakes have been taken out of the tins and have totally cooled, spread half of the cream using a pallet knife on the flat side of one of the cakes and top with the second one.
12. Spread the rest of the cream on the top and decorate with the remaining strawberries, and finish off by grating some white chocolate on the strawberries.
These recipes are from Ahmad Teas,
in collaboration with @thegastromaestro