Wow, this is one pretty pudding! Berries, sponge, almonds and lightly whipped custard cream in perfect harmony…
Preparation time: 55 mins Baking time: 35-50 mins
Ingredients | Serves 8 generouslyFor the Genoise sponge:
- 8 eggs
- 250g caster sugar
- 200g butter, melted
- 200g plain flour, sifted
- 250ml whole milk
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 egg
- 50g caster sugar
- 25g plain flour
- 500ml double cream, softly whipped
- 100g flaked almonds
- 150ml double cream, softly whipped
- 450g strawberries
- 300g raspberries
- 100g blackberries
- 50g cherries
- Pre heat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan /gas mark 4 and prepare the cake tins. Line the bases with baking paper, grease well and flour the sides.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a large heatproof bowl and set above a pan of steaming water. Using an electric hand mixer whisk for 10 mins until the mixture has doubled in volume, is light and fluffy and falls from the beaters in a smooth ribbon. Remove from the steaming pan and quickly stir in the melted butter. Sift in the flour and fold in slowly until fully combined.
- Divide the mixture between the two prepared cake tins and bake in the oven for 35-40 mins until lightly golden brown and when tested, a skewer comes out clean. Remove from the oven and allow to cool fully on a wire rack.
- Once cooled, wrap the cakes well in clingfilm and chill in the fridge before cutting each into two separate even layers using a serrated knife. Set to one side.
- In a pan place the milk and the seeds scraped from the vanilla pod. Heat over a medium heat until it is just below the boil. Remove from the heat and allow to cool slightly. Combine the egg, caster sugar and plain flour in a separate bowl. Whilst whisking continuously pour over the milk until both are thoroughly combined. Return the mixture to the pan and heat until the mixture comes to the boil, stirring continuously. Cook for 3 mins until thickened. Remove from the heat, transfer to a bowl to cool covering with clingfilm. The film needs to come into contact with the custard to prevent a skin from forming and to prevent condensation forming. Cool to room temperature. Softly whip 500ml double cream and fold into the prepared custard.
- Place the base disc of sponge onto a serving plate. Add an even layer of custard cream and add a complete layer of sliced strawberries and raspberries. Add another sponge disc and repeat with custard cream and fruit until all four layers are in place. Coat the top and sides with the remaining custard cream.
- Whip 150ml double cream to softly whipped and place in a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle. Pipe a circle of cream rosettes around the top outside edge of the gateau. Coat the sides with flaked almonds. Add the remaining fruit to the top of the gateau and serve.