For the sponge:
- 755g unsalted butter, softened
- 755g caster sugar
- 12 large eggs
- 755g self-raising flour
For the filling:
1 x 370g jar of strawberry or raspberry jam 10 x 350g tubs of Vanilla Flavoured Frosting
- Assorted summer berries
- A few sprigs of mint
- A few fresh flowers
- Icing sugar, for dusting
- Preheat the oven to 190°C/Gas 5. Grease two 15cm, two 20cm and two 25cm loose-based tins, and line their bases and sides with greaseproof paper.
- To make the two 15cm cakes, cream together 190g of the butter and 190g of the sugar in a large bowl with an electric hand mixer until light and fluffy.
- Beat 3 of the eggs in a separate bowl and add them a little at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well after each addition.
- Sift 190g of the flour into the mixture, carefully folding it in until all the flour is incorporated. Divide the mixture evenly between the two prepared 15cm tins and smooth the tops with the back of a spoon. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until well risen, golden and a skewer comes out clean when inserted into the centre.
- Leave to cool slightly in the tins, turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool completely.
- To make the two 20cm cakes, repeat the above steps using 250g butter, 250g sugar, 250g self-raising flour and 4 eggs.
- To make the two 25cm cakes, repeat the above steps using the remaining 315g butter, 315g sugar, 315g self-raising flour and 5 eggs.
- Sandwich each tier together with a layer of jam and frosting. Leave to set for 30 minutes.
- Apply a thin layer of frosting to the edges of each tier. Using a side scraper, scrape most of the icing off to achieve a ‘naked cake’ look.
- Place the 25cm tier on a large serving platter or cake stand. Using a cake lifter, carefully stack the 20cm and 15cm tiers on top.
- Decorate the top of each tier with summer berries, sprigs of mint and fresh flowers, then finish with a generous dusting of icing sugar.