This toffee apple cake is moist, tasty and satisfying and is sure to be a winner with any guests.This toffee apple cake by Catherine Beck from Vintage Frills is absolutely divine - tart apple mixed with sweet toffee and you have a winner!
Toffee Apple Cake
Ingredients:For the toffee topping:
- 100g (3½oz) light brown muscovado sugar
- 65g (2¼oz) unsalted butter
- 1 apple
- 115g (4oz) unsalted butter
- 115g (4oz) light brown muscovado sugar
- 2 free-range eggs, lightly beaten
- 200g (7oz) plain flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1 ½ tsp mixed spice
- 1 apple, grated
- 85g (3oz) chopped nuts
- 85g (3oz) chopped dates
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas Mark 4 and grease a shallow cake tin (I used a heart-shaped tin).
- To prepare the topping, melt the butter and sugar in a pan over a low heat. Stir continuously, then pour into the cake tin.
- Core and thinly slice the apple and arrange it over the toffee mixture in the cake tin.
- To prepare the cake mix, heat the butter and sugar together until they form a cream. Gradually beat in the eggs.
- Sift the dry ingredients, then fold them into the mixture. Stir in the grated apples, nuts and dates.
- Add a little milk to loosen the mixture.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin over the toffee and sliced apples. Bake for 35-40 minutes until golden. Allow to cool for a few minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.
Content continues after advertisements