So light and virtually fat free, this angel cake with rose scented cream is a fabulous cross between a meringue and a sponge cake.
Angel Cake with Rose Scented Cream
Preparation time 20 mins Baking time 35 mins Serves 8 For the cake:
Content continues after advertisements
- 75g plain flour
- 10g corn flour
- 145g caster sugar, plus extra to dust the tin
- 5 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- Butter for greasing
For the topping:
- 300ml double cream
- 1 tbsp caster sugar
- A few drops of red food colouring
- A few drops of rose water
- Fresh strawberries to serve
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan /gas mark 3. Grease a 20cm ring cake tin and coat liberally with caster sugar.
- Sieve the flour and corn flour into a bowl and add 3/4 of the sugar. In a separate large bowl, whisk together the egg whites and cream of tartar until they form a firm, but not dry foam. Add the remainder of the caster sugar and whisk again until the mixture is glossy and holds soft peaks.
- Swiftly but gently, fold in the flour and sugar mixture, using a balloon whisk to fold can make this a lot easier. Spoon into the prepared ring mould, level the top and tap on the worktop twice to shake out any air pockets. The tin will seem very full but do not worry, the mixture doesn’t rise a great deal as it is already aerated.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until the top is golden brown and the cake has shrunk away from the sides of the tin slightly. Remove from the oven and immediately invert the tin on a rack and leave until cool. Ease around the cake with a table knife and turn out.
- To make the topping, pour the cream into a bowl and add the sugar, red colouring and rose water to taste. Beat until the cream is thickened but not stiff. Spread evenly over the cake, not forgetting the centre sweeping around the sides with a knife in an upward motion to form swirls. Serve with fresh strawberries.
- TIP: * Being virtually fat free, this cake is best eaten on the day it is made, but can be frozen or used to make a light textured trifle.