Delicious Iced Fancies
Makes : 10 | Preparation time: 1 hour plus cooling and setting | Cooking time: 20 minutes
- 65g (2 ½ oz) Baking margarine
- 65g (2 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 1 Medium egg
- 75g (3oz) Self raising flour
- 2.5ml (1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Moroccan Almond Extract
- To decorate:
- 175g (6oz) Apricot jam
- 200g (7oz) Dr. Oetker Ready To Roll Marzipan
- Icing sugar to dust
- 3 x 100g pouches Dr. Oetker Easy Ice Yellow
- 25g (1oz) Dr. Oetker Regal-Ice Ready to Roll White
- 1 tube Dr. Oetker Bright Writing Icing Yellow
- Preheat the oven to 180C (160C fan oven, 350F, gas 4). Grease and line an 18cm (7inch) straight-sided square cake tin.
- Put the margarine, sugar and egg in a bowl. Sift the flour on top and add the Almond Extract. Gently mix all the ingredients together then whisk for a few seconds using an electric mixer until well blended.
- Transfer to the prepared tin, smooth the top and bake in the oven for about 20 minutes until risen, lightly golden and firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes then turn on to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, put the jam in a small saucepan and heat gently, stirring, until melted and soft. Push through a nylon sieve into a heatproof bowl to make a smooth, soft glaze. Set aside.
- Put the cake on a board and cut in half, lengthways. Spread 30g (2 tbsp) apricot glaze over one half and lay the other half on top, with the base facing upwards. Press down gently, then cut off the cake crusts neatly and straight to make a rectangular cake block approx. 7 x 15cm (3 x 6inch). Slice down the middle and then cut each portion into 5 small pieces.
- Working on one cake piece at a time, pierce one side with a small fork. Brush the top and sides sparingly but thoroughly with the glaze, leaving the forked side jam free. Carefully place on a wire rack with the unglazed side down whilst you brush the other cakes in the same way –a silicone pastry brush is ideal for this task as it is soft and pliable. If the glaze is a bit stiff for brushing, blend in a little hot water to soften it.
- Knead the Marzipan until soft and pliable. Slice off a 25g (1oz) piece and use to make 10 small balls. Press each one lightly on the work surface to flatten the base a little then put one on top of each cake.
- On a lightly dusted work surface, cut the remaining Marzipan in half and roll out each portion thinly to make rectangles approx. 12 x 20cm (4 ½ x 8inch). Cut each into 5 equal strips and carefully wrap a strip of Marzipan round the sides each cake. Keep the cakes on a wire rack, and stand the rack over a tray or board.
- Prepare the Easy Ice as directed on the pack. Carefully squeeze the icing on the top of the marzipan ball letting the icing drizzle over the cake until it starts to drip down the sides. Using a small knife, work the icing down the sides of the cake, spreading on a little more icing as necessary to fill in any gaps. Continue using sufficient icing until all the cakes are coated.
- Leave the icing to set for a few minutes, trim the bases of the cakes to remove any icing drips then decorate with Regal-Ice daisies. Your Iced Fancies are now ready to serve and enjoy!
Content continues after advertisements