With such a light and airy texture it’s no wonder these lemon flavoured sensations are called angel food cakes! They’re perfect if you fancy something sweet but not too filling and they’re fat free too.
Mini Angel Food Cakes
Preparation time 30 mins
Baking time 15 mins
For the cakes:
- 7 egg whites
- 100g caster sugar
- 1 tsp cream of tartar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 100g plain flour, sifted plus extra for dusting
- 100g icing sugar, sifted
For the icing:
- 150g icing sugar, sifted
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Mini silver edible stars
- White holographic edible glitter
- Preheat the oven to 175°C/155°C fan/gas mark 4. Grease a 12 hole muffin tin then lightly dust with flour.
- Place the egg whites in a clean, grease free bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form. Gradually whisk in the caster sugar, a little at a time until thick and glossy. Whisk in the cream of tartar, vanilla and lemon zest.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the flour and icing sugar then gently fold into the egg white mixture using a metal spoon. Spoon the mixture into the muffin tin, filling the holes almost to the top. Level the tops then bake for 15 mins until springy. Cool in the tin for a few mins then place the cakes upside down on a cooling rack. The cakes will come out of the oven quite big but expect them to shrink in size as they cool.
- For the icing, mix the icing sugar with 3tbsp of lemon juice to create a thick pouring consistency. Add a little more lemon juice if the icing is too thick. Drop a spoonful of icing on top of each cake and allow to drip down the sides. Sprinkle with mini stars and a little glitter.