Pimm’s Cake Bites
Makes: 24 | Preparation time: 55 minutes plus standing and cooling | Cooking time: 40 minutes
- 225g (8oz) Caster sugar
- 2 Medium eggs
- 150ml (1/4 pt) Sunflower oil
- 225g (8oz) Plain flour
- 10g (2 tsp) / 2 sachets Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 115g (4oz) Cucumber, grated
- 225ml (8fl.oz) Pimm’s
Content continues after advertisements
- 350ml (12fl.oz) Double cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Pimm’s
- 25g (1oz) Icing sugar
- Halved small strawberries, orange and cucumber slices and mint sprigs to decorate
- Preheat the oven to 190˚C (170˚C fan assisted oven, 375˚F, gas mark 5). Grease and line a 30 x 20cm (12 x 8inch) oblong cake tin. Put 150g (5oz) sugar in a mixing bowl with the eggs and oil and whisk together until well blended.
- Sift the flour and Baking Powder on top and using a large metal spoon, carefully fold the flour into the whisked ingredients. Fold in the grated cucumber.
- Spoon the mixture into the tin and smooth over the top. Bake for 30-35 minutes until risen, lightly golden and just firm to the touch. Stand for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, pour 225ml (8fl.oz) Pimm’s into a saucepan and add the remaining 75g sugar. Heat gently, stirring until the sugar dissolves, then raise the heat and boil for 4-5 minutes until syrupy. Leave aside.
- Once the cooked cake has been standing for 10 minutes, skewer the top all over and spoon over the Pimm’s syrup. Leave to cool completely in the tin before carefully removing and placing on a board.
- To decorate, whip the cream until softly peaking, then whisk in the Pimm’s and icing sugar. Spoon into a piping bag fitted with a large closed star nozzle. Cut the cake into 24 squares and pipe a generous swirl of cream on top of each. Decorate with fruit and mint to serve.
Hints and Tips:
- This bake is best made the day before serving as the flavour and texture improves with storing. Just cool and wrap whole and undecorated, then just before serving, cut up the cake and top with cream and fruit.
- It also freezes well. Simply bake as above and then when cool, before decorating, wrap well and freeze for up to 3 months. Defrost in the wrappings and then decorate as above.
- For a larger portioned cake or dessert, simply spread the top with the whipped cream and top with the chopped fruit, cucumber and mint just before serving. Cut into 15 portions to serve.