Yo Yo's On Sticks by Dr. Oetker
Preparation time: 1 hour plus chilling, cooling and setting Cooking time: 12 minutes Ingredients
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) Lightly salted butter, softened
- 100 g (3 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 1 Medium egg yolk
- 15 ml (1 tbsp) Whole milk
- 1 sachet (25g) Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder
- 175 g (6 oz) Plain flour
- 1 sachet (5 g / 1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 65 g (2 ½ oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 115 g (4 oz) Icing sugar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Sicilian Lemon Extract
- 200 g (7 oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Cooks’ White Chocolate
- Dr. Oetker Bright & Bold Sprinkles
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking parchment. In a bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until creamy and well blended. Stir in the egg yolk and milk.
- Sift the Cocoa, flour and Baking Powder on top and stir into the creamed mixture, then use your hands to bring the mixture together to form a firm dough. Turn on to a lightly floured work surface and knead gently until smooth. Cut the dough in half.
- Working on one half at a time, roll the dough to a thickness of ½ cm (1/4inch) and cut out 16 rounds using a 4cm (1 ½ inch) cutter, re-rolling the dough as necessary. Arrange spaced a little apart on the baking trays and prick lightly with a fork. Roll out the other half in the same way. Once you have made 32 rounds, chill them for 30 minutes.
- Ten minutes before baking, preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan assisted oven, 350˚F, gas mark 4). Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes until firm and set. Cool for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To decorate, put the butter in a bowl and beat until soft and glossy. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar until it forms a creamy, spreadable icing. Stir in the Lemon Extract. Spread the underside of half of the cookies thickly with the butter icing.
- Put a pop or lolly stick into the centre of the icing, pressing it down to submerge it. Smooth a little icing over the top of the stick and then sandwich together with another cookie, pushing the cookies together so that they glue together and the pop stick stays in place. Put on a large board or tray lined with baking parchment in a cool place to allow the icing to firm up.
- Meanwhile, break up the White Chocolate into a heatproof bowl and place over a saucepan of barely simmering water. Leave to melt, then remove from the water and cool for 15 minutes.
- Working on one cookie stick at a time, carefully dip the cookie in the melted chocolate, gently turning to completely cover in chocolate. Gently tap the stick on the side of the bowl to allow as much of the excess chocolate as possible to drip off – this will help achieve a neater finish - then lay the dipped cookie stick back on the board and begin the dipping process with another cookie stick.
- Before the chocolate sets completely, lightly sprinkle the top of each with Sour Strands or Hundreds and Thousands. Leave in a cool place until the chocolate sets. Your Yo-yos on sticks are now ready to serve and enjoy!