This roulade is the sweet, delicate and delicious. Try filling with chopped strawberries or blackberries instead if you want to mix it up!Serves 6-8
For the Roulade:
- vegetable oil, for greasing
- 6 free-range eggs, separated
- 180g (6½oz) caster sugar, plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 tsp natural vanilla extract
- 50g (1¾oz) self-raising flour
- 75g (2½oz) ground hazelnuts
- icing sugar, for dusting
For the filling:
- 1 tbsp icing sugar
- 150g (5½oz) thickened or
- whipping cream
- 100g (3½oz) crème fraîche or
- sour cream
- ½ tsp natural vanilla extract
- 125g (4½oz) fresh raspberries, or
- thawed frozen raspberries
- Preheat the oven to 200ºC/ Gas Mark 6. Grease a Swiss roll tin, measuring about 30cm (12in) long, 24cm (9½in) wide and 2.5cm (1in) deep. Line with baking paper.
- Put the egg yolks and sugar in a large bowl. Using a stand mixer or electric hand mixer, whisk for 5-6 minutes, until pale and thick. Stir in the vanilla extract. Sift in the flour, then fold in gently with the ground hazelnuts.
- Using clean beaters, whisk the egg whites in a separate bowl until soft peaks form. Gently fold into the hazelnut mixture with a large metal spoon until just combined. Pour into the prepared tin. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden and springy.
- Place a tea towel on a work surface, top it with a large sheet of baking paper and sprinkle with caster sugar. Carefully turn the roulade out onto the sugared paper, then carefully peel off the paper that was in the baking tin. Trim the edges of the roulade to neaten, if necessary. Using the sugared paper to help you, roll up the roulade from the long side, enclosing the paper as you go. Leave to cool completely.
- To make the filling, sift the icing sugar into the cream, then whisk until soft peaks form. Fold in the crème fraîche and vanilla extract. Gently stir the raspberries through.
- Unroll the roulade and spread with the raspberry cream filling. Re-roll the roulade. Place on a serving plate and dust with icing sugar. If transporting, dust with icing sugar just before serving.
This recipe is taken from A Moveable Feast by Katy Holder (Hardie Grant, £12.99) Photography © Natasha Milne
Content continues after advertisements