Pecan and Caramel Cake
Preparation time: 45 minutes plus cooling and setting - Cooking time: 20-22 minutes - Makes: 10-12 Ingredients
Content continues after advertisements
- 175g (6 oz) Plain flour
- 1 sachet (7g) Dr. Oetker Bicarbonate of Soda
- 200g (7oz) Soft dark brown sugar, free of lumps
- 75g (3oz) Pecan nuts, ground
- 200ml (7fl.oz) Buttermilk
- 115g (4oz) Lightly salted butter, melted
- 2 Medium eggs, beaten
- 2 sachets (100g) Dr. Oetker Caramel Flavour Drizzle
- 65g (2 ½ oz) Granulated sugar
- 40g (1 ½ oz) Pecan halves
- 75g (3oz) Soft dark brown sugar
- 150g (5oz) Lightly salted butter, softened
- 325g (11oz) Icing sugar
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dr. Oetker Caramel Flavour
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C Fan oven, 350˚F, gas 4). Grease and line 3 x 18cm (7 inch) Victoria sandwich tins.
- Mix the flour, Bicarbonate of Soda, dark brown sugar and ground pecan nuts together in a bowl. Make a well in the centre.
- In a jug, mix the buttermilk, melted butter, eggs and Caramel Flavour together and pour into the centre of the dry ingredients. Mix well to make a thick batter.
- Divide between the tins and spread over the tops evenly. Bake in the oven for 20-22 minutes until golden and just firm to the touch. Cool for 5 minutes before turning out on to a wire rack. Lightly skewer the tops of each cake several times and gently pour over the sachets of Cake Drizzle – try not to skewer all the way through the cakes otherwise the Drizzle may seep out.
- To decorate, line a small baking tray with baking parchment and sprinkle the pecan halves over the top, spaced a little apart. Put the sugar in a saucepan and add 15ml (1tbsp) cold water. Heat gently, stirring, until dissolved, then raise the heat, and cook without stirring for about 3 minutes until richly golden. Immediately pour the caramelised sugar over the pecan halves to coat them and leave to set.
- Meanwhile, put the dark brown sugar in a small saucepan and add 45ml (3 tbsp) cold water. Heat gently, stirring, until the sugar is dissolved. Stop stirring and raise the heat. Bring to the boil and boil for 10 seconds. Remove from the heat and leave to cool completely.
- Put the butter in a bowl and beat until smooth and glossy. Gradually sift and beat in the icing sugar to make a stiff icing. Mix in the cold sugar syrup and Caramel Flavour and beat until smooth and creamy.
- Using one third of the frosting, spread over 2 of the cakes and sandwich all three cakes together. Press down gently and transfer to a serving plate.