This cake is so yummy, you could even use orange zest and white chocolate as alternative ingredients.
- 250g (9oz) self-raising flour
- 250g (9oz) caster sugar, plus 2 heaped tbsp extra
- 250g (9oz) unsalted butter, melted
- 4 large free-range eggs
- 2 tbsp milk
- finely grated zest of 2 unwaxed lemons
- 2 tsp vanilla bean paste
- 250g (9oz) ricotta
- 200g (7oz) pistachios: 150g (5oz)blitzed finely, 50g (2oz) whole
- Preheat the oven to 170°C/Gas Mark 3. Butter a rectangular ovenproof dish and line with parchment paper.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the eggs, sugar, ricotta, milk, lemon zest and vanilla paste together until evenly combined. Add the flour and incorporate, followed by the butter. Mix well.
- Add the ground and whole pistachios and give everything a thoroughly good mix to make sure the batter is smooth and evenly combined.
- Pour the cake mix into the lined dish and smooth over the top to make sure the batter is evenly distributed and the surface is flat. Place in the oven and bake for 45 minutes, or until golden on top and a skewer or knife inserted into the centre comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and allow to cool. Slice into squares and serve.
Content continues after advertisements