Whether you're baking ahead or need a stable cake for decorating, this basic madeira cake recipe is what you're after.
Tiered creations, buttercream masterpieces and jaw-dropping showstoppers can typically all have one thing in common - a reliable basic madeira cake recipe. Our favourite comes from Britt Box of She Who Bakes, and Britt's recipe can be found below.
- Britt always advises to bake the cake you need at least 1 day in advance of decorating it
- This recipe makes 1 tall 20cm cake that can be cut into three layers with a cake leveller
- Find out how to freeze cakes for future use here
- Find out how to create an ombre cake with this cake here
- Find out how to make a naked cake using this recipe here