Vanilla Layer Cake
Cake – makes 1 layer:
- 150g unsalted butter, softened, plus extra to grease
- 100g Perfect Sweet® xylitol
- 3 large eggs
- 200g almond meal
- 50g arrowroot, sifted
- 1 tsp gluten free baking powder Pinch of salt
- 180ml milk, lukewarm
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 500ml whipping cream
- 400g fresh berries of your choice
- 200g Berry Jam
- 75g Raw Dark Chocolate or good quality sugar free dark chocolate, melted (optional)
- Rose petals or edible owers, to decorate (optional)
- Preheat oven to 160°C/140°C fan-forced. Grease a 24cm round springform cake pan with butter and line with baking paper.
- Use an electric beater to beat the butter and xylitol in a medium bowl until pale and uffy. Add the eggs, one at a time and beat well.
- Mix the almond meal, arrowroot, baking powder and salt together in a separate bowl. Add to the egg mixture and combine on low speed.
- Add the lukewarm milk and vanilla and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into prepared cake pan and bake for 30–35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 10–15 minutes then turn onto a wire rack to cool completely. Repeat this recipe twice for the 2 remaining layers.
- Whip the cream in a medium bowl until soft peaks form.
- Set aside 1 cup of the whipped cream and 150g of the berries to decorate the top layer.
- To assemble, place the rst cake layer on a serving plate and spread over half the jam, then half the remaining cream and top with half the remaining berries. Gently place the second cake layer on top and repeat. Place the third layer on top and nish with the reserved whipped cream and berries. If using, drizzle with melted chocolate and serve.
This recipe is from Sugar Free Baking by Carolyn Hartz. Available from www.bookdepository.com for £18.39.