For the cake:
- 2 courgettes (approximately 250g)
- 150g coconut oil, plus a little extra for greasing (or Cake Release)
- 175g caster sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 eggs, whisked
- 100g rice flour
- 75g ground almonds
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 50g pistachios, coarsely chopped
- zest of 2 lemons
- zest of 2 limes
For the icing:
- 150g 0% natural yogurt
- 3 tbsp icing sugar, sieved
- zest of 1 lemon
- zest & juice of 1 lime
Tip: If you prefer a thicker icing, add extra icing sugar to achieve your desired consistency.
- 30g pistachios, coarsely chopped
- 30g dried cranberries, coarsely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180C/Gas 4. Grease the cake tins and line with baking parchment circles.
- Place the spiralizer on the worktop and insert the medium spiral blade. Trim the ends off the courgettes, and spiralize into a bowl.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the coconut oil, sugar and vanilla extract until fluffy, using an electric hand mixer. Whisk in the eggs a little at a time, ensuring each addition is fully incorporated before the next one. Carefully fold in the rice flour, ground almonds and bicarbonate of soda. Stir in the pistachios, lemon and lime zest and spiralized courgettes.
- Divide the mixture between the 5 tins and bake for 12-15 minutes, or until risen and lightly golden. Turn out onto a wire rack and leave to cool.
- Place the yogurt, sugar, zest and juice in a clean bowl and mix well.
- To assemble, spread a cake layer with yogurt frosting. Top with another layer, and continue with all the layers. Sprinkle chopped pistachios and cranberries over the top to decorate.