Mother's Day is fast approaching and what better way to show Mum just how much you love her than by baking her some yummy treats! Why not whip up this light, fluffy strawberry sandwich sponge cake by Dr. Oetker, that's positively bursting with strawberries and cream to celebrate?
Lovely Strawberry Sandwich Cake
Serves: 10 people | Prep time: 15 mins | Bake time: 25 mins Ingredients:
- 70g strawberry jelly cubes
- 40ml water
- 160g unsalted butter
- 150g caster sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1tsp Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 160g self-raising flour
- 1tsp Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
- 300ml double cream
- 30g icing sugar
- 5tsp strawberry jam
- 6 – 8 strawberries
- 1 pack Dr. Oetker Heart Marshmallows
- Dr. Oetker Chocolate Hearts & Dr. Oetker Mini Wafer Flowers
- Preheat the oven to 180C, grease and line the base of two 18cm baking tins. Put the wibbly wobbly jelly cubes in a microwavable bowl, add the water and heat on full power for 40 seconds or until jelly has melted
- Beat the butter and sugar in a large bowl until it’s smooth, light and fluffy. Add a pinch of salt, then beat in eggs one at a time, adding 1tsp Vanilla Extract and half the jelly water
- Sieve the self-raising flour and 1tsp Baking Powder into another bowl and fold it into your mixture, using a large metal spoon. Fold in the remaining jelly water
- Split between the two baking tins and bake for 20-25 mins. Allow to cool for a few minutes then run a knife around the edge of the tins and turn the cakes out onto a cooling rack
- With an electric whisk beat double cream with icing sugar until fairly stiff
- Place one of the cakes on a plate and spread a thin layer of cream on the top . Stand a ring of Heart Marshmallows around the edge
- Put 150g of the cream in a separate bowl, then mix in chopped strawberries and jam. Spoon this fruity filling into the space inside your marshmallows
- Spread a thin layer of cream on the base of the other sponge and place it on top of your bottom layer. Cover the top with the remaining cream and decorate with Chocolate Hearts & Mini Wafer Daisies – Mmmm!
With Mother’s Day just around the corner, Dr. Oetker has teamed up with star TV baker Ian Cumming to create a recipe book especially for little budding bakers.
Featuring four delicious recipes, Bake Mum’s Day is an illustrated book filled with playful characters, handy tips and simple step by step instructions for little hands to follow. From Chocolate Flowerpot Cupcakes to Lovely Strawberry Sandwich Cake, the cute, fun-filled recipes will inspire little ones to bake-off at home with the family and treat mum to something special this Mother’s Day.
To download the full Dr. Oetker Bake Mum’s Day recipe book, go to www.oetker.co.uk/mothersday
Go bonkers for baking!
Show off your little one’s yummiest creations and funniest pictures using the hashtag #bakemumsday