A recipe for a Japanese-style Cotton Cheesecake...
Garnished with in-season mixed berries, Miele's Japanese cotton cheesecake involves folding whipped egg whites into the batter for a light and pillowy texture. Ingredients For the cheesecake
- 200g cream cheese
- 80ml whole milk
- 60g unsalted butter
- 120g caster sugar
- 90g plain flour
- ½tsp. sea salt
- 6 free range eggs, yolks and whites separated
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- Whipped cream
- Mixed berries
- Preheat a Miele Steam Combination Oven on Cake Plus at 160°C. If a combination steam is not available, the best way to bake this cheesecake would be over a water bath in the main oven using the same temperature and timings below.
- Combine together the cream cheese, milk, butter and 60g of sugar in a small saucepan and gently whisk over a medium heat until melted. Remove from the heat and transfer into a larger bowl with the yolks, flour, salt and lemon zest and mix well until there are no lumps.
- In another large bowl, beat the egg whites and a tablespoon of lemon juice with a hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the remaining sugar while continuing to beat until stiff peaks form.
- Fold about a third of the egg whites into the yolk mixture, then repeat with the remaining whites a third at a time until the batter is evenly combined.
- Grease the bottom of a 23cm spring form pan and line the bottom and sides with baking parchment. Pour the batter into the pan and shake to release any large air bubbles.
- Place the cheesecake in the combination steam oven and bake for 40 minutes, then, turn the temperature down to 130°C and bake for another 40 minutes. When ready, turn the oven off and leave the cake to cool inside the oven for another 20 minutes.
- Remove the cheesecake from the oven very gently and allow to cool down completely. Garnish with the whipped cream and mixed berries and serve.