Chewy but soft Gingerbread Cookies with a sweet ginger buttercream creme filling make a delightful pre-Christmas treat.
Gingerbread Sandwich Cookies from Forever Baking
Prep Time 15 min - Cook Time 1 hr 10 min - Total Time 1 hr 25 min
- 300g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- 170g unsalted butter, softened
- 110g + 3 Tbsp granulated sugar, divided
- 110g packed light-brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 80g cup treacle
- 150g unsalted butter
- 2 tbsp milk
- 320g icing sugar
- 2 tbsp gingerbread spread (from Hotel Chocolat)
- In a mixing bowl whisk together flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon, cloves and nutmeg for 20 seconds, set aside.
- In the bowl of an electric stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together butter, 100g granulated sugar and brown sugar until well blended. Mix in egg, then blend in treacle and vanilla. With mixer set on low speed, slowly add in dry ingredients and mix until combined. Cover bowl with clingfilm and chill 1 hour. Preheat oven to 180C.
- Scoop out about 1 Tbsp at a time, shape into balls then roll in remaining 3 Tbsp granulated sugar. Transfer to lined baking sheets, spacing cookies 2 inches apart. Bake in preheated oven 8 - 10 minutes. Cool on baking sheet several minutes then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- To make the gingerbread buttercream beat the butter with an electric mixer for 4 to 5 minutes. Add the milk and the gradually add the icing sugar. Beat for 5 minutes. Next add the gingerbread spread and beat again for another 2 minutes. Put the buttercream into a icing bag fitted with a nozzle. Swirl the buttercream over one cookie and top with another to make a sandwich.