A delicious recipe for Oat and Cherry cookies...
Love Fresh Cherries, the UK’s national cherry association have teamed up with MasterChef finalist, Giovanna Ryan to create this tasty and nutritious cherry based twist on a much loved classic recipe. Not only is this cherry cookies recipe absolutely delicious but cherries provide many health benefits to keep you fit and well and keep meals fresh and interesting.
- 300g porridge oats
- 120g plain flour
- Around 80g pecans, roughly chopped
- A pinch of salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 160g butter at room temperature
- 150g soft brown sugar or 100ml honey (if you want to lower the sugar content)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 200g fresh cherries, pitted and cut into quarters
- Pre-heat the oven to 170C. Combine all of the dry ingredients (oats, flour, pecans, salt, cinnamon and bicarb) in a mixing bowl.
- Beat butter and sugar or honey in a stand mixer until well-combined. Add the egg, syrup and vanilla and beat until fully incorporated.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix well, then fold in the cherry pieces. Leave to rest for at least an hour at room temperature to allow the oats to hydrate.
- Line two baking sheets with baking paper and spoon out around 60g balls of the dough onto the sheet.
- Bake the cookies for 10-12 minutes, less if you want them softer. Transfer to a cooling rack.