Spooky on top, with a little treat in the middle, these fun piñata-style cookies are a fun way of celebrating Halloween! Take a look at the recipe from Baking Mad, and you've got a great half-term holiday activity to boot!
Halloween Piñata Cookies
Preparation time: 30 minutes - Baking time: 10 minutes - Makes: 7 Ingredients: For the cookies
Content continues after advertisements
- 225g unsalted butter, softened
- 125g Billington’s Unrefined Golden Caster Sugar
- 1tbsp Nielsen-Massey Vanilla Bean Paste
- 300g Allinson Plain White Flour, plus extra for rolling out
- 6 mini smarties treat size packets
- 50g Silver Spoon Icing Sugar
For the decoration
- Sugar paste icing (assorted colours)
- Beat the butter, sugar and vanilla bean paste together until it has become pale and fluffy. Sift in the flour and mix just until a soft dough is formed. Wrap in cling film and chill for a minimum of 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 180C / 160C fan / gas mark 4 and line 2 baking trays with nonstick baking parchment. On a well-floured surface roll out the dough until 3mm thick. Using your cutters cut out 3 cookies of each desired shape and transfer onto the baking sheet. Repeat with any remaining dough before chilling for 10 minutes on the trays. Once chilled use a knife to cut out the center of each of the shapes so you have a total of 3 cookies for each piñata cookie – 2 whole cookies and 1 with a cut out centre.
- Bake in the oven for 10-12 minutes until pale golden in colour. remove and allow to cool before transferring to a wire rack.
- Once cooled mix the icing sugar with a little water until a paste is formed. Use a small amount to stick together a cut out cookie onto a full cookie. Fill the cut out centre of the cookie with a mini smarties, taking care not to overfill so the top cookie can lie flat. Secure the top cookie onto the cut out again using a little icing.
- Decorate the cookies using ready to roll icing in desired colours to match the chosen shape. Enjoy your Halloween piñata cookies!