Delightfully sweet and chewy Turkish Delight cookies, with a touch of the exotic.These cookies will have you dreaming of far away lands...
Turkish Delight Cookies
Preparation time 25 mins
Baking time 10-12 mins
For the cookies:
For the drizzle:
- 125g soft butter
- 225g caster sugar
- 1 x large egg
- Grated zest of 1 small lemon
- 235g self raising flour
- ½ tsp salt
- 100g chopped rose and lemon Turkish delight (plus some more to sprinkle on top)
- 100g icing sugar
- 3 drops of rose water
- 2 tsp water
- Pink food colouring
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C/160˚C fan/gas mark 4. Line or grease 2 baking trays.
- In a large bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add the egg and lemon zest.
- Sieve in the flour and salt then mix together well. Stir through the chopped Turkish delight.
- Roll walnut sized pieces of dough into balls and place on prepared baking trays. If the mix is a bit sticky, flour your hands a little. Place the dough balls spaced well apart as they will spread out. There is no need to flatten them.
- Bake for 10-12 mins. This should give you a cooked but still chewy cookie. If you prefer more crunch, leave in the oven for a few mins more. Allow the cookies to cool for a few mins on the tray before transferring them to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- To make the icing, sieve the icing sugar into a small bowl. Add a few drops of rosewater to 2 tsp of water and mix into the sugar. Add more water until the icing is a drizzle consistency, add more rosewater if you like it stronger.
- Using a teaspoon loaded with icing, move it back and forth over the cooled cookies on the rack. Keep going until you achieve the look you want, then dot the tops with extra Turkish delight and dust with icing sugar. These jewelled treats will keep for up to a week.