Is there anything more summery than the taste of a cool glass of Pimm's?Topped with all the fresh strawberries, cucumber and mint that you'd usually expect in your cocktail, these Pimm's o'clock cupcakes are the perfect treat to enjoy while the sun's shining! Have a go at making your own with our recipe below - this should make enough batter and frosting for 12 cupcakes. Enjoy!
For the cupcakes:
- 175g butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self raising flour
- 2 tbsp Pimm's
- Zest ½ orange
For the sugar syrup:
- 180g caster sugar
- 100ml Pimms
- 125ml water
For the frosting:
- 45g butter, softened
- 130g cream cheese
- 270g icing sugar sifted
- Zest ½ orange
For the fruit topping:
- 100g strawberries, hulled and diced
- 40g cucumber, seeds removed and diced
- 2 mint leaves, finely chopped
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/160°C fan/ gas mark 4. Prepare a 12 hole cupcake pan, lining each recess with a cupcake liner.
- Cream together the softened butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the eggs, beat well to combine. Sift in the flour and fold in using a spatula or metal spoon. Stir through the Pimms and orange zest. Divide the batter between the 12 cupcake liners and bake in the oven for 25 mins until golden brown and well risen.
- Whilst the cakes are baking prepare the syrup. Place the caster sugar, Pimm's and water in a small saucepan. Heat gently until the sugar dissolves fully. Remove from the heat and set to one side.
- Once baked remove the cupcakes and transfer to a wire rack. Brush the tops of each with the prepared syrup reserving three tablespoons of syrup in a small bowl.
- Dice the strawberries and cucumber and finely chop the mint leaves. Add the fruit to the reserved syrup, stir to coat and set to one side.
- Prepare the frosting. Beat the butter until extremely soft. Add the cream cheese and beat until fully combined. Sift in the icing sugar and mix well. Finally stir through the orange zest. Add the frosting to a piping bag fitted with a large star nozzle. Pipe swirls of frosting to the top of each cupcake. Finish by adding a tablespoon of the soaked fruit mixture to the top of each. Serve.
Top tip: Cupcakes can be frosted in advance but the fruit and syrup mixture should be added just before serving.