How cute are these funny little bunny bum cupcakes by Dr. Oetker? They're sure to be a huge hit with adults and children alike this Easter!
Bunny Bum Cupcakes
Makes: 12 cupcakes | Preparation time: 1 hour plus cooling | Cooking time: 30 minutes (including chocolate melting) Ingredients: For the bunny bum cupcakes:
- 12 Dr. Oetker Muffin Cases
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Baking margarine, softened
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Caster sugar
- 2 Large eggs
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Plain flour
- 1 sachet/ 25 g (1 oz) Dr. Oetker Fine Dark Cocoa Powder
- 2 sachets/ 10 g (2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Baking Powder
For the decoration:
- 200 g (7 oz) Dr. Oetker Milk Fine Cooks’ Chocolate
- 15 g (1/2 oz) Dr. Oetker White Chocolate Chips
- 130 g Dr. Oetker Liquid Glucose
- 125 g (4 ½ oz) Unsalted butter, softened
- 225 g (8 oz) Icing Sugar
- 2.5 ml (1/2 tsp) Dr. Oetker Madagascan Vanilla Extract
- 1 tube Dr. Oetker Lime Green Gel Food Colour
Method: For the bunny bum cupcakes:
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (160˚C fan assisted oven, 350˚F, gas mark 4). Put the Muffin Cases in 12 muffin tins. Put the margarine in a mixing bowl, add the caster sugar and eggs. Sift the flour, Cocoa and Baking Powder on top and using an electric whisk on a low speed, gently blend the ingredients together. Increase the mixer speed and whisk for a few more seconds until well mixed.
- Divide the mixture equally between the cases and smooth over the tops. Bake for about 25 minutes until risen and just firm to the touch. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
For the decoration:
- To decorate, break up the Milk Chocolate into pieces and place in a heatproof bowl over a saucepan of barely simmering water, and leave to melt. Remove from the water and stir in 125g (4 ½ oz) Liquid Glucose to form a thick paste. Scrape on to a piece of baking parchment and leave to cool – the mixture will become firm and pliable when cold. Avoid prolonged chilling as the paste will become too hard to mould.
- Set aside 12 White Chocolate Chips. Put the rest of the Chips in a small heatproof bowl and melt as above. Mix in 5 g (1 tsp) Liquid Glucose. Leave to cool as above.
- Meanwhile, put the butter in a bowl and beat until smooth and glossy. Gradually sift and beat in all the icing sugar until creamy and soft and add Vanilla Extract. Mix in the whole tube of Green Gel Food Colour. Thickly spread the icing on top of each cup cake, right to the edge.
- Divide the Milk Chocolate paste into 13 equal pieces, and form 12 portions into balls. Place a ball on top of each iced cake. Use the remaining portion of paste to make 12 pairs of bunny feet and leave aside on baking parchment.
- Divide the White Chocolate paste into 12 equal portions. Use to make 12 pairs of foot pads and press gently onto the feet. Score bunny toes with a small knife, then gently press onto the sides of the bunny bodies. Top each bunny body with one of the reserved White Chocolate Chips as a tail. Your cupcakes are now ready to serve and enjoy!
Note: if the moulding paste becomes too hard to work with, you can pop it in the microwave for 5-10 seconds to soften it up again.