Is there are more heavenly flavour combination than chocolate and orange? We think not! And the combination of flavours works beautifully in these spectacular chocolate orange cupcakes!
Chocolate Orange Cupcakes
Preparation time 20 mins plus chilling
Baking time 15-20 mins
For the cakes:
For the icing:
- 50g unsalted butter, softened
- 140g light brown sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 90g plain flour, sifted
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- Pinch of salt
- 5g cocoa powder, sifted
- 80ml milk
- 70g dark chocolate 70% cocoa solids, broken into pieces
- 1/2 tsp chocolate extract
- 230g salted butter
- 60g of unsweetened cocoa
- 4 squares of melted (then cooled) dark chocolate
- 1-2 tbsp double cream
- 440g icing sugar
- 2 tsp orange essence
For the Cupcakes
- Tangerine slices
- Chocolate sprinkles
For the Icing
- Preheat the oven to 170˚C/150˚C fan/gas mark 3 and line a muffin tray with 12 paper cupcake cases.
- Cream the butter and 70g of the sugar together in a large bowl until light and fluffy. Beat in the egg then stir in the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, salt and cocoa powder and mix until well combined.
- Put the milk, chocolate, chocolate extract and remaining sugar in a saucepan and place over a gentle heat. Bring to a boil and stir until the sugar has dissolved and the chocolate melted. Remove from the heat then pour into the dry ingredients stirring until thoroughly combined.
- Divide the mixture equally between the paper cases and bake for 15-20 mins until springy to the touch and a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- Melt your chocolate squares in the microwave, slowly and carefully until smooth. Set aside to cool.
- Whip the butter in your mixer until it's light and fluffy.
- Add in the cocoa, and orange essence, beating until combined. When the chocolate is cool, add it to the butter mixture and beat to combine.
- Now you can put in the icing sugar a small amount at a time, beating until combined, and adjust the thickness/texture by using another tablespoon of cream, adding it slowly until you reach the desired texture.
- Transfer the icing to a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle and pipe a swirl on the top of each cake.
- Arrange tangerine slices on the icing then decorate with chocolate sprinkles.